My passion is to help women learn to study the Bible for themselves and to grow their Bible-teaching skills to help others.
My newest project is a video training course that will teach women how to confidently lead a Bible study for a small group. I want to make the course as relevant as I can to women who need encouragement to lead a Bible study for their group (or even think about doing it!).
So, I created a survey and sent it to all those on my email list. It had just 3 questions.
1. What is your experience at studying the Bible?
2. If you are hesitant about leading a Bible study for a group, why is that?
3. If you are leading (or have led) a BIble study for a group, what do you consider your biggest challenges?
A bunch of people responded and gave me some great feedback. Woo hoo! I love these two comments from women who have taken the leap to be a discussion leader for a Bible study group:
"I am excited about the lives that I have had experienced watching them grow, becoming more involved in the Word and then applying it to their lives."
"I find that leading a Bible study presses me to make sure I get the Bible study done and do some extra studying. This brings it to the forefront for me to make sure I finish the lessons."
For those who said they were hesitant about leading a Bible study, they are not alone. Many women feel the same way. Here were some of their reasons for being hesitant.
- Feeling unable to turn rabbit trails around tactfully.
- Insecure about knowing enough of the Bible (33% of the responders).
- Concern about not being able to answer group members' questions or comments.
- Thinking that it takes too much time to prepare a lesson to lead. (31% of responders)
The biggest challenges for those who are leading (or have led) a Bible study group dealt with mainly too areas: managing the content in the time allowed and managing the people in the group.
- Getting through the questions in the time allowed without rushing.
- Managing the talkative ones while giving opportunity for the quieter ones to share.
"I am learning a lot on my own!! Then someday would love teach a class!!??????"
"I have learned that everyone feels inadequate. When the time is right, jump in! God blesses our obedience."
Those are the ones I want to help with my video course. And everyone else in whose heart the Lord has placed a desire to share what they are learning with others.
Stay tuned for the launch date sometime in June. I am working hard to get it ready.
Didn't get a chance to take the survey? Here's the link.
Get on my email list if you aren't already so that you can have access to my new training course as soon as it is ready!